Dr Karagiannis is a cardiology consultant with extensive experience in general and acute cardiology. He has a special interest in the management of heart failure patients and in echocardiography. He is currently working as an NHS consultant at the Cardiology Department of Hillingdon Hospital, Middlesex and at the Department of Advanced Heart Failure, Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support at Harefield Hospital. He holds the European Accreditation for performing Transthoracic Echocardiograms.
After sitting national exams and achieving the highest grades nationwide, he was admitted at the Medical School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece. He subsequently completed his specialty training in a University Hospital and was awarded “excellent” marks on its completion (CCT). He carried on his academic path to successfully complete a PhD in Cardiology, which also received “excellent” marks. Very early on, he developed a broad academic portfolio, which included a long list of publications in high profile medical journals, as well as various national and international appearances as a speaker. He was awarded 3 national prizes for his research. He continued his training in Advanced Heart Failure at Harefield Hospital in London, where he worked as a Senior Clinical Fellow.
As a recognition of his clinical and academic achievements, he has been awarded the prestigious title of the Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology. He was also made a Fellow of the European Heart Failure Association. Finally, he is an honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at Imperial College in London.
Dr Karagiannis sees his private patients at BMI Bishops Wood and Clementine Churchill Hospitals, at One Stop Doctors Clinic and at Hillingdon Hospital. You can arrange your consultation at the most suitable location and day here.
- Oct 2015 Affiliate member of the Royal College of Physicians
- Jan 2017 Fellowship of the European Society of Cardiology
- Jan 2017 Fellowship of the European Heart Failure Association
- Sep 2017 Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer Imperial College
- Dec 2017 Educational lead in Medicine, Hillingdon Hospital
- Dec 2017 Royal College of Physicians Tutor
Society and Professional Membership
- British Society for Heart Failure
- European Heart Failure Association
- European Society of Cardiology
- Royal College of Physicians
- Medical Defence Union
- Triposkiadis F, Giamouzis G, Boudoulas KD, Karagiannis G, Skoularigis J, Boudoulas H, Parissis J. Left ventricular geometry as a major determinant of left ventricular ejection fraction: physiological considerations and clinical implications. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017 Nov 6.
- Chamaidi A, Karagiannis G, Christidi A, Parisis C, Koutrakis K, Xanthopoulos A, Skoularigis J, Giamouzis G, Triposkiadis FK. Favorable Pulse Wave Augmentation Indices and Left Ventricular Diastolic Profile in β-Thalassemia Minor. Angiology. 2017 Nov;68(10):899-906.
- Angelidis G, Giamouzis G, Karagiannis G, Butler J, Tsougos I, Valotassiou V, Giannakoulas G, Dimakopoulos N, Xanthopoulos A, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F, Georgoulias P. SPECT and PET in ischemic heart failure. Heart Fail Rev. 2017 Mar;22(2):243-261.
- Xanthopoulos A, Giamouzis G, Tryposkiadis K, Paraskevopoulou E, Paraskevopoulou P, Karagiannis G, Patsilinakos S, Parissis J, Farmakis D, Butler J, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F. A simple score for early risk stratification in acute heart failure. Int J Cardiol. 2017 Mar 1;230:248-254.
- Dubrey S, Karagiannis G. Ventricular bigemini or something less common? Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Nov 2;78(11):653.
- Pal S, Karagiannis G, Dubrey SW. Cardiac sarcoidosis: a diagnostic puzzle. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016 Nov 2;77(11):656-657.
- Dubrey S, Pal S, Singh S, Karagiannis G. Digital clubbing: forms, associations and pathophysiology. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016 Jul;77(7):403-8.
- Suarez-Barrientos A, Wong J, Bell A, Lyster H, Karagiannis G, Banner NR. Usefulness of Rabbit Anti-thymocyte Globulin in Patients With Giant Cell Myocarditis. Am J Cardiol. 2015 Aug 1;116(3):447-51.
- Katsarou A, Triposkiadis F, Skoularigis J, Griva E, Neroutsos G, Karayannis G, Papageorgiou C, Panagiotakos D. Evaluating the role of perceived stress on the likelihood of having a non – fatal acute coronary syndrome: a case-control study. Open Cardiovasc Med J. 2014 Jul 25;8:68-75.
- Xanthopoulou I, Deftereos S, Sitafidis G, Kanakakis I, Hamilos M, Karayannis G, Angelidis C, Stavrou K, Vavuranakis M, Goudevenos JA, Stefanadis C, Alexopoulos D. In-hospital bleeding events in acute coronary syndrome patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention in the era of novel P2Y12 inhibitors: insights from the GReek AntiPlatelet rEgistry-GRAPE. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Jun 1;174(1):160-2.
- Alexopoulos D, Xanthopoulou I, Deftereos S, Sitafidis G, Kanakakis I, Hamilos M, Karayannis G, Angelidis C, Stavrou K, Vavuranakis M, Goudevenos JA, Stefanadis C; GRAPE Investigators. Bivalirudin use and one-month outcome in the context of contemporary antiplatelet treatment: insights from the Greek Antiplatelet Registry. Cardiovasc Ther. 2014 Jun;32(3):120-6.
- Triposkiadis FK, Butler J, Karayannis G, Starling RC, Filippatos G, Wolski K, Parissis J, Parisis C, Rovithis D, Koutrakis K, Skoularigis J, Antoniou CK, Chrysohoou C, Pitsavos C, Stefanadis C, Nastas J, Tsaknakis T, Mantziari L, Giannakoulas G, Karvounis H, Kalogeropoulos AP, Giamouzis G. Efficacy and safety of high dose versus low dose furosemide with or without dopamine infusion: the Dopamine in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure II (DAD-HF II) trial. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Mar 1;172(1):115-21.
- Karayannis G, Triposkiadis F, Skoularigis J, Georgoulias P, Butler J, Giamouzis G. The Emerging Role of Galectin-3 and ST2 in Heart Failure: Practical Considerations and Pitfalls Using Novel Biomarkers. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2013 Dec;10(4):441-9
- Giamouzis G, Kalogeropoulos AP, Butler J, Karayannis G, Georgiopoulou VV, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F. Epidemiology and Importance of Renal Dysfunctionin Heart Failure Patients. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2013 Dec;10(4):411-20
- Karayannis G, Giamouzis G, Tziolas N, Georgoulias P, Skoularigis J, Mikhailidis DP, Triposkiadis F. Association between epicardial fat thickness and weight homeostasis hormones in patients with noncachectic heart failure. Angiology. 2013 Apr;64(3):173-80.
- Karayannis G, Giamouzis G, Cokkinos DV, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F. Diabetic cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy: clinical implications. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012 Jun;10(6):747-65.
- Spiliopoulos K, Giamouzis G, Karayannis G, Karangelis D, Koutsias S, Kalogeropoulos A, Georgiopoulou V, Skoularigis J, Butler J, Triposkiadis F. Current status of mechanical circulatory support: a systematic review. Cardiol Res Pract. 2012;2012:574198. Epub 2012 Aug 26.
- Mastrogiannis D, Giamouzis G, Dardiotis E, Karayannis G, Chroub-Papavaiou A, Kremeti D, Spiliopoulos K, Georgoulias P, Koutsias S, Bonotis K, Mantzorou M, Skoularigis J, Hadjigeorgiou GM, Butler J, Triposkiadis F. Depression in patients with cardiovascular disease. Cardiol Res Pract. 2012;2012:794762. Epub 2012 Jul 5.
- Giamouzis G, Mastrogiannis D, Koutrakis K, Karayannis G, Parisis C, Rountas C, Adreanides E, Dafoulas GE, Stafylas PC, Skoularigis J, Giacomelli S, Olivari Z, Triposkiadis F. Telemonitoring in chronic heart failure: a systematic review. Cardiol Res Pract. 2012;2012:410820. Epub 2012 Jun 7.
- Karayannis G, Anyfantakis ZA, Koutrakis K, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F. Cardiac manifestation of hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2011 May;12(5):363.
- Karayannis G, Giamouzis G, Alexandridis E, Kamvrogiannis P, Butler J, Skoularigis J, Triposkiadis F. Prevalence of impaired coronary flow reserve and its association with left ventricular diastolic function in asymptomatic individuals with major cardiovascular risk factors. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2011 Apr;18(2):326-33.
- Giamouzis G, Butler J, Starling RC, Karayannis G, Nastas J, Parisis C, Rovithis D, Economou D, Savvatis K, Kirlidis T, Tsaknakis T, Skoularigis J, Westermann D, Tschöpe C, Triposkiadis F. Impact of dopamine infusion on renal function in hospitalized heart failure patients: results of the Dopamine in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure (DAD-HF) Trial. J Card Fail. 2010 Dec;16(12):922-30.
- Karayannis G, Tsezou A, Giannatou E, Papanikolaou V, Giamouzis G, Triposkiadis F. Polymorphisms of renin-angiotensin system and natriuretic peptide receptor A genes in patients of Greek origin with a history of myocardial infarction. Angiology. 2010 Nov;61(8):737-43.
- Karayannis G, Spanos P, Triposkiadis F, Skoularigis J. Right atrial myxoma involving the tricuspid annulus. J Card Surg. 2010 Sep;25(5):533.
- Triposkiadis F, Karayannis G, Giamouzis G, Skoularigis J, Louridas G, Butler J. The sympathetic nervous system in heart failure physiology, pathophysiology, and clinical implications. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Nov 3;54(19):1747-62.
- Kirlidis TT, Skoularigis J, Tsaknakis KT, Karayiannis G, Tsaknakis TK, Triposkiadis F. The influence of beta-blockade on the hemodynamic effects of levosimendan in elderly (>or= 70 years) patients with acutely decompensated systolic heart failure. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009 Jul;47(7):454-9.
- Tsezou A, Karayannis G, Giannatou E, Papanikolaou V, Triposkiadis F. Association of renin-angiotensin system and natriuretic peptide receptor A gene polymorphisms with hypertension in a Hellenic population. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2008 Dec;9(4):202-7.
- Karayannis G, Kitsios G, Kotidis H, Triposkiadis F. Left atrial remodelling contributes to the progression of asymptomatic left ventricular systolic dysfunction to chronic symptomatic heart failure. Heart Fail Rev. 2008 Feb;13(1):91-8.
- Co-author of chapter “Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease” in the book “Cardiology”, Triposkiadis F, Lagos
- Co-author of chapter “Postoperative Care of the Heart Transplant Patient” in the book “Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, 3rd edition. John M. O’Donnell and Flavio E. Nacul”, Springer 2016.
Author of the chapter “Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in diabetes” in the book “Diabetes, Kardia, Aggeia” (“Diabetes, Heart, Vessels”), Triposkiadis F and Louridas G, 2010.